William Sullivan: Mysterious Death?

What the Documents Show

For Jim Marrs, the death of William Sullivan was "suspicious."  Marrs
says that:

"Sullivan was shot with a high-powered rifle near his New Hampshire
home by a man who claimed to have mistaken him for a deer.  The man
was charged with a misdemeanor -- 'shooting a human being by accident'
-- and released into the custody of his father, a state policeman.
There was no further investigation of Sullivan's death." (CROSSFIRE,
p. 564)

Read the following, and decide whether any "further investigation" was
needed, and whether this looks sinister in any way.


						9 November, 1977

	I received a call from Troop F (New Hampshire State Police)
via telephone saying a hunting accident near Brown residence at Sugar
Hill.  Time approximately 6:35 a.m.  I then called Lt. William
Hastings on telephone and advised him of situation.  Troop F called on
radio to say ambulance en route.  I arrived on scene (Westfield
residence) approximately 6:45 a.m.  Was met by chief Gary Young, who
informed me that the victim's name was William Cornelius Sullivan, and
he had been shot by Robert Daniels, Jr.

	Tim Ross and assistant were on the scene at this time and it
was determined that the victim was dead.

	Trooper Robert Daniels was at the scene in his cruiser with
his son, Robert Daniels, Jr.  It was obvious that Robert Daniels, Jr.
was extremely upset.  I determined at this time the best course of
action would be to get him away from the scene.  I informed Trooper
Daniels of this and advised him I would be in touch with him and his
son later and that they should go home, which they did.

	Attempts were made via radio transmissions through Grafton
County Sheriffs Office to get a medical referee (see Grafton County
radio log).  After considerable time Dr. Imrie arrived on the scene
and pronounced William Sullivan dead.

	Raymond Holland of Grafton County Sheriffs Office located a
spent 30-06 cartridge case and a three cell flashlight and a hot seat.
It was determined that this was the spot from where the shooter fired.

	Trooper John Tholl and myself measured the distance from the
shooter to the two rifles that laid on the ground 15 feet from the
victim to be 241 feet.  The victim had been moved by the shooter about
15 feet.

	State Police investigator David Lennon had arrived on the
scene and was assisting at this time, as was Seargent Tuck, New
Hampshire State Police.  Also Lt. William Hastings, New Hampshire Fish
and Game Department.

	Officer Lennon gathered, tagged and secured all the physical
evidence at the scene.  The body was then removed via Ross ambulance
to the Littleton Hospital.  At the hospital it was determined that a
postmortem examination would be conducted at Mary Hitchcock Hospital
at Hanover, New Hampshire.  The body was then transferred to a Ross
ambulance vehicle and trip to Hanover.  On the way we stopped at
Grafton County Sheriffs Office and investigator Lennon and myself
talked with Attorney Wingate regarding the case.  We then continued on
the Mary Hitchcock Hospital and the postmortem examination was
conducted by Dr. Falkner.  Present were Harold Reed, William Hastings,
David Lennon, Richard Dufour, Thomas Ross and Ray Holland.

	Fragments of copper and lead metals were found in the bullet
wound.  It was determined by Dr. Falkner that cause of death was a
bullet through the neck.  Upon completion of the examination, the body
was released to the Ross Funeral Home and transported back to
Littleton via Ross ambulance.

			Respectfully Submitted, 

			Richard F. Dufour
			Conservation Officer
			New Hampshire Fish & Game Dept.


Grafton County Attorney
John M. A. Rolli
				Court House
				Woodsville, New Hampshire, 03785
				Telephone (603) 787-6968

						March 10, 1978

New Hampshire Fish & Game Department
Bridge Street
Concord, New Hampshire, 03301

ATTENTION: Mason Butterfield

Dear Mr. Butterfield:

	Pursuant to our telephone conversation of March 9th, enclosed
please find the following regarding the fatal shooting in Sugar Hill
on November 9th, 1977:

	1.	Investigation Report of Gary Young, Chief of Police in
Sugar Hill;

	2.	Written Statement of Robert W. Daniels, Jr.;

	3.	Daily Log of November 9, 1977 of the Dispatch at Troop
F in Twin Mountain; and

	4.	Autopsy report of the deceased, William Sullivan

The State Police report is more readily available at State Police
Headquarters and we request that you obtain the report directly from

				Very truly yours,

				John M.A. Rolli




	1. Case No.
	2. Investigating Officer: Gary Young	
	3. ID Chief	
	4. Town of Crime Sugar Hill
	5. Code	
	6. Date of Report 11-9-77

Investigation of fatal shooting on Pearl Lake Road in Sugar Hill, N.H.
on this day involving victim, William Cornelius Sullivan of Sunset
Road, Sugar Hill, N.H.  Date of Birth, 05-25-12.  Retired FBI

On the morning of the 9th day of November, 1977 on or about 6:30 in
the A.M., the writer of this report was abruptly awakened to a
disturbance in my bedroom.  Upon becoming awake, I realized there was
a young boy known to me to be Robert W. Daniels, Jr., standing in my
bedroom.  He was in a very excited state of mind, close to a
hysterical situation.  I asked him what was wrong and through his
sobbing and carrying on, I was able to understand him to say "I think
I have killed a man."  I immediately got out of bed and brought Robert
Daniels, Jr., to the kitchen of my home where I questioned him further
as to what had happened.  At this point I was able to determine what he
was trying to tell me.  I asked him where he had been and he advised
me that he had been over to Westfield's on the Pearl Lake Road.  He
said he thought it was a deer.  When he got over to it, he realized it
was a man.  He said he attempted to perform CPR and he didn't think it
did any good.  He said he tried to carry the man out, but couldn't.  I
asked him if he had any idea who it was.  His reply at that time was
"That it was Bill Sullivan."

At this point, my wife had reached the kitchen and I advised her to
get Ross Ambulance on the phone.  I advised Ross Ambulance that they
were needed near the Foss Residence on Pearl Lake Road, and to travel
Code 3.  I then placed a second call to the father of Robert W.
Daniels, Jr., and advised him what had taken place and the location and
that his son needed him immediately and I would meet him at the scene.
I then place a third call to State Police in Twin Mt., N.H., advising
her that there had been a shooting accident on the Pearl Lake Road in
Sugar Hill, near the Foss residence, and to send Conservation Officer
Dufour and a Trooper.

At this point I escorted Robert Daniels, Jr., to the Cruiser and went
immediately to the scene.  Upon arriving at the scene I observed the
form of a man lying on the ground on the edge of a field near the tree
line surrounding the field.  I went immediately to the body and
checked the wrist for a pulse.  I was unable to find a pulse so then
checked the neck for a pulse.  Within moments Corporal Daniels arrived
on the scene at which time we placed his son Robert W. Daniels, Jr.,
in his father's car.  Shortly thereafter Ross Ambulance arrived on the
scene.  Not having been able to locate a pulse on the subject, I
returned to the Cruiser to have my headquarters call Dr.. McGregor as
a Medical Referee.  Shortly thereafter Conservation Officer Richard
Dufour arrived on the scene.  At that time I advised Mr. Dufour as to
who the parties were that were involved , and that I wanted him to
handle the investigation because of my friendship with both parties.
That I had recognized Mr. Sullivan, the victim upon my arrival.

Other officers arriving on the scene to assist in the investigation
were Trooper John Tholl, Deputy Sheriff Raymond Holland, Det. Cpl.
David Lennon and Sgt. Richard Tuck, State Police.

I made a request of Sgt. Tuck to assist Officer Dufour in this
investigation.  Photographs of the scene were taken by Deputy Holland
and Trooper Tholl.  Officer Dufour was able to make contact with Dr.
Imrie of Littleton to come to the scene as acting Medical Referee.  At
approximately 8:30 myself, Sgt. Tuck and Dr. Imrie returned to my
residence to locate Tim Casey to advised him of what had happened and
to obtain his assistance in breaking the news to Mr. Sullivan's wife.
Tim Casey is a retired FBI agent and a friend of the Sullivan family.  

Upon advising Tim Casey of the situation, we then went to the home of
Mrs. Sullivan and advised her of the incident.  Upon advising her,
Mrs. Sullivan became very emotional and hysterical.  It took a
considerable amount of time to calm Mrs. Sullivan down.  Tim Casey and
myself remained at the house with Mrs. Sullivan until a friend arrived
to stay with her.  Sgt. Tuck returned to the scene of the incident.
Tim Casey, upon returning to my residence notified the Concord Office
of the FBI and advised them of what had taken place.

Two agents from the Concord office arrived at my residence at
approximately noon time.  They were agents Hannagan and Gobel.


	State of New Hampshire
	Statement Form

Date:  Nov. 10, 1977		Place: Lisbon

I, Robert W. Daniels, Jr. give the following voluntary statement to
Richard F. Dufour F & G who has identified himself as a member of the
New Hampshire Fish & Game.  He has advised me of the following:

	1. I have the right to remain silent;
	2. Anything I say can and will be used against me in a court 	
		of law;
	3. I have the right to talk to a lawyer for advice before any 
		questioning and to have one with me during 
	4. If I cannot afford a lawyer, one will be appointed for me; 
	5. If I decide to answer questions now without a lawyer 
		present, I still have the right to stop answering at 
		any time

Witness:  Wm. C Hastings

I woke up at approximately 4:30. At 5:00 I went to pick up a friend
(Randy Heathe).  He was not up at the time.  I waited about 15 minutes
'til 5:15 or app.  I drove to the Westfield home and drove up the
Westfield up to the old post road and back down to the Westfield home.
I took my flashlight, hot seat and rifle.  I walked out to the place
where I was going to sit with my flashlight on shined it around the
field and sat down backed into the woods.  I sat til approximately
6:10 when I stood up to go pick up a friend and I saw a motion on the
other side of the field.  I picked up my rifle and through my scope I
saw brown.  I dropped my rifle down and saw a flicker of white.  I'
not sure what it really was, but I thought it was a flag (of a deer).
At this time when I saw the white it appeared to moved a little faster
and I thought it had smelled me and was now running.  I picked up my
rifle and through my scope I saw brown again and I squeezed the
trigger.  I put my hot seat and flashlight down in a well house.  I
was walking towards the deer at which time I thought was missed.  I
was about 50 yards away I saw white and I thought it was a deer.  I
got about 25 yards away I saw a man lying there.  I went to him and
dragged him out of the woods and started Cardio Pulmonary
Rescucitation when I saw the bullet wound.  I tried to carry him to
the road but he was so heavy so I put him down and ran to my scout and
drove to Gary Young's home.  I got him out of bed.  He made the
necessary phone calls. 




	At 635AM on Nov 9, 1977, I received a telephone call from
Chief Gary Young (596) of the Sugar Hill Police Dept. advising me of a
hunting accident on the Pearl Lake Road in Sugar Hill and he asked me
to notify either Sgt Charles Barry or CO Richard Dufor of the Fish and
Game Dept.  I advised him that the Unit to cover that area was FG216
Richard Dufour and I told him I would notify him immediately.  Chief
Young then advised me that an ambulance was enroute and that a
trooper had been notified.

	At 641AM Cpl. Robert Daniels checked with me via radio
transmission to see if FG238 had been notified,  I advised him that
FG216 was notified and he was OK on the item and he advised it would
probably be his area anyway.  At the same time I copied via the
Grafton Moniter that G 11 (Ross Ambulance) was advised by G 40 (Chief
Young) the area was behind Mrs. Brown's residence an would be on a
Code # 2.  Since this is urget I advised FG216 of the same and for
directions and he and FG210 copied me.

	At 645AM FG210 asked via Radio if I had an SP Unit Available
with camera and I checked with 353 Cpl Daniels, he then advised me via
Radio affirmative but that I had better check with the Supervisor as
his son was involved in the incident.  I then proceeded to make FG210
& 216 aware of this information and I immediately called my Supervisor
by telephone.  At this time I made Sgt Richard Tuck aware of the
situation and what little information I had.  I also advised him I
knew the incident involved Cpl Daniels son and that Lt Hastings was
requesting if a trooper was available with a camera and Sgt Tuck
advised for me to Call Out 371 Tpr John Tholl.  He also aske me to
keep him posted on the item.

	Around 645AM I also received a telephone call from the Grafton
Dispatcher inquiring what was going on and I advised him only that I
knew there was a Hunting Accident and that involved Cpl Daniels Son.
I advised him that I had no further information at this time.

	At 649AM I advised FG210 & 216 that 371 would be enroute with
a camera.  I then copied via the Grafton Moniter at 653AM that the
Ross Ambulance was at the scene.  At 740AM I copied again via Grafton
that FG216 had advised for the Grafton Dispatcher to contact the
County Attorney and the County Medical Referee was needed at the
scene.  At this time for your note I assumed there had been a death.

	At 709AM Sgt Tuck called by telephone to check what further
information I had and I advised him that I knew the County Medical
Referee was bing called to the scene and that the County Attorney had
been called and I knew a death was involved and nothing further.  He
remarked the situation did not look good and advised me he would be
enroute to the scene shortl and was the same at 715AM.

	Also for your note all units involved signed on as the 10-1
10-2 Forms show, but the sign off times will vary as units I knew
were preceeding to the scene did not have time and it was considered
by those who knew to be an urgent item.  Also that much of my
information was copied via my Grafton Moniter and the assumptions were
reached through the information given.

				Comm/Spec Maryann K. Monteiro
				NHSP Troop F, Twin Mt., N.H.


	(From New York Times, November 10, 1977)

	William C. Sullivan, former head of the Federal Bureau of
Investigations intelligence operations who broke in dramatic fashion
with the late J. Edgar Hoover, was killed early yesterday in a
shooting accident near his home in Sugar Hill, N.H. He was 65 years
	Maj. Mason J. Butterfield, law enforcement director of the New
Hampshire Fish and Game Department, said that Mr. Sullivan, who had
been on the way to meet two hunting companions shortly after daybreak,
had been shot and instantly killed by another hunter, Robert Daniels,
Jr., 22, who had mistaken Mr. Sullivan for a deer.
	Major Butterfield said that the shooting was under
investigation and that no charges had been filed.
	Mr. Sullivan's 30-year career with the F.B.I. began in the
early days of World War II, when he was dispatched by Mr. Hoover on an
undercover intelligence mission to neutral Spain.
	After several months of tangling with Axis spies in Madrid,
Mr. Sullivan returned to bureau headquarters in Washington and took
the first in a series of administrative posts that ultimately included
a decade as head of the domestic intelligence division and a brief
tenure as the bureau's third-ranking official behind Mr. Hoover, the
director, and his longtime companion, Clyde A. Tolson.
	Mr. Sullivan, who acquired a reputation as the only liberal
Democrat ever to break into the top ranks of the bureau, retired in
1971 after he arrived at his office one morning to find that Mr.
Hoover had ordered the lock on his door changed and his nameplate
	That incident, widely reported at the time, was the
culmination of increasing friction between the two men over Mr.
Sullivan's private, and then public, insistence that Mr. Hoover had
greatly overemphasized the threat to national security posed by the
American Communist Party while devoting less attention than was
warranted to violation of Federal civil rights laws in the South.
	Mr. Sullivan was known both within the bureau, and by a wide
and distinguished circle of acquaintances outside it as less a
policeman than a scholar, one whose interests ranged from theoretical
Marxism, on which he was an acknowledged expert, to modern English
	Mr. Sullivan held advanced degrees from American and George
Washington Universities and an honorary doctorate from Boston College.
	In retirement, Mr. Sullivan became even more vocal of Mr.
Hoover's nearly five decades of unchallenged leadership of the bureau
and of its controversial counterintelligence programs, including some
that he himself had conceived and administered.
	Testifying two years ago before the Senate Intelligence
Committee, which termed some of his official actions abusive and even
illegal, Mr. Sullivan declared, "Never once did I hear anybody,
including myself raise the question, is this course of action which we
have agreed upon lawful, is it legal, is it ethical or moral?"
	The Senate investigation uncovered considerable detail about
the counterintelligence programs, collectively labeled Cointelpro by
the bureau, that were intended to spread confusion and dissension
among extremist political groups in this country, ranging from the
Communist Party on the left to the Ku Klux Klan on the right.
	It also developed in the Senate investigations that Mr.
Sullivan had been instrumental in the arranging for the mailing of a
tape recording in 1964 to Coretta Scott King, wide of the late Rev.
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. that contained snippets of Dr. King's
conversations with other women that had been overheard by concealed
F.B.I. microphones.
	Mr. Sullivan was in the news most recently a few weeks ago
when he acknowledge that he had passed to subordinates instructions
from Mr. Hoover to use whatever means were necessary in tracking down
fugitive members of the Weather Underground organization in the early
	One former agent, John J. Kearney, is now the subject of a
Federal indictment charging the bureau with having employed illegal
wiretaps and mail intercepts in those investigations, and Mr. Sullivan
was expected to have been a principal witness at Mr. Kearney's trial.
	Mr. Sullivan, whose hopes for replacing Mr. Hoover as the
bureau's director were dashed when the Nixon Administration installed
L. Patrick Gary 3d as Mr. Hoover's successor, infuriated many of his
longtime colleagues in 1973, a year after Mr. Hoover's death, when Mr.
Sullivan publicly questioned Mr. Hoover's mental acuity during his
last few years in office.
	"I'm no doctor," he said at the time in assessing Mr. Hoover.
"I can't make a judgement.  But he had an unusual personality.  In the
last three years, you couldn't depend upon him.  He became extremely
	Surviving are Mr. Sullivan's wife, Marion, two sons, William
and Andrew, both law students in Boston, and a daughter Joanne Tuttle.
A funeral service will be held on Saturday in Hudson, Mass., Mr.
Sullivan's birthplace.

	(From New York Times, January 15, 1978)

LITTLETON, N.H. --Jan 14 (UPI)--A Libson, N.H. man was fined $500 and
lost his hunting license for 10 years yesterday for killing a former
assistant director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, William
Sullivan, in a hunting accident.
	Mr. Sullivan, 65 years old, the retired No. 3 man at the
bureau, died Nov. 9 after a bullet from Robert Daniels' .30-caliber
rifle struck him in the neck as he was hunting near his home in Sugar
	District Court Special Justice Timothy Vaughn imposed the
sentence on Mr. Daniels, 21, on the recommendation of the Grafton
County Attorney, John Rolli.
	Mr. Daniels, son of a state policeman, pleaded no contest Nov.
18 to a charge of shooting and killing a human being mistaken for
	Mr. Daniels was hunting with a rifle equipped with a
telescopic sight when he shot Mr. Sullivan 20 minutes before sunrise.

More on "Mysterious Deaths"
Back to Kennedy Assassination Home Page