Did the Clinton witnesses really link Clay Shaw to Ferrie and Oswald?

Impeaching Clinton

by Dave Reitzes

Part Two

Something that becomes clear upon repeated readings of the Jackson and Clinton witnesses' testimony is that a number of phrases and observations tend to recur.

On the time of year of the alleged Oswald encounters:

EDWIN LEA McGEHEE: [The] last of August [or] the early part of September . . . We had cool nights in the last of August and the early part of September. . . . It was . . . I would say, the last of August and the early part of September (1).

REEVES MORGAN: [T]he latter part of August or either the first part of September .(2)

HENRY EARL PALMER: It was in the last part of August or the first part of September . . .(3)

WILLIAM E. DUNN, SR.: [L]ate August or early September(4).

The descriptions of the car's driver often have a familiar ring. Curiously, a number of the witnesses were certain that the driver was a tall man (Shaw was 6'4"), despite the fact that he never got out of the car.

PALMER: The man that was behind the wheel, I saw him sitting down. He appeared to be a tall man, he had broad shoulders and quite gray hair, and his complexion was . . . kind of ruddy complexion. . . . Broad shoulders, and appeared tall from sitting down. He could have been a short man with a long upper waist, I couldn't tell you, all I saw was sitting . . . (5)

MANCHESTER: The main thing I remember about the man was that he had gray hair. . . . He looked tall and well built from what I could tell from seeing him in the car(6). He was a big man, gray-haired, ruddy complexion . . . (7)

COLLINS: [H]eavy built, gray hair. (8)

DUNN: [B]ig shoulders, big man, and gray hair. . . . Big shoulders, big man .(9)

The locals had to be ever vigilant for unfamiliar automobiles.

MANCHESTER: [T]here was a few strange cars, and if they were strange I would know them.(10)

PALMER: [W]hen there were strange cars in town we tried to find out who they were.(11)

DUNN: [I]t was a strange car to me, I had never seen that car before there in town.(12)

How did the witnesses remember these men six years later?

MANCHESTER: I don't forget faces; I might forget names but I don't forget faces.(13)

DUNN: Whenever I knows a man I don't hardly forget his face.(14)

Reeves Morgan claimed to have notified the FBI in Baton Rouge about Oswald following the assassination,(15) but the Baton Rouge office had no record of the call and produced sworn affidavits from each one of its agents stating that he had not taken a call from Morgan (16). Did the other witnesses report their experiences to the authorities?

MANCHESTER: No, sir. I figured if they wanted it they could come and get it. . . . I felt it was my duty if they came and asked for it.(17)

DUNN: Well, I didn't think I had to report it, had FBI and things checking on different things like that.(18)

COLLINS: No one asked me. . . . I felt like if they wanted to know they would ask me (19).

McGEHEE: Nobody approached me.(20)

Two witnesses had a slight bit of trouble over Oswald's appearance.

DYMOND. Did he have a beard on?

MRS. BOBBIE DEDON. I don't remember.

DYMOND. You don't remember whether he had a beard?

DEDON. Right.

DYMOND. You don't?

DEDON. No.(21)

DUNN. I didn't remember him having any beard.

DYMOND. Would you say that he did?

DUNN. He didn't look to me like he had no beard.

DYMOND. What is that?

DUNN. He didn't look to me like he had no beard on.

DYMOND. You know what a beard is when you see it, don't you?

DUNN. (The witness nodded affirmatively.)

DYMOND. Can't you tell me definitely whether you saw a beard on the man that you saw standing in the registration line?

DUNN. No, I didn't see any beard.(22)

Problems of a far more serious nature arise when we examine the earlier statements of these witnesses, gathered over a span of almost two years preceding the trial. These statements were hidden from the defense and the HSCA a decade later. Some surfaced shortly after Jim Garrison's death in October 1992. A few more came to light in 1996. Others were buried in the notes of a Garrison investigator named Anne Hundley Dischler, who was removed from the Clinton case and dismissed from Garrison's office at a critical point in that investigation. Her name was also eliminated from virtually all records in Garrison's office.

In his memoirs, Garrison writes that Andrew Sciambra was the investigator he chose from the start to handle the Clinton angle.(23) That's not so. In fact, to this day we don't know who the initial Clinton investigator was.(24) But the first investigators of record were Lt. Francis Fruge and Anne Hundley Dischler. Garrison says he chose Andrew Sciambra and then asked for assistance from Governor John McKeithen, who assigned Lt. Fruge to the case.(25) Actually it was Fruge who invited Dischler to accompany him to Clinton and the surrounding towns, where she filled up three notebooks with eyewitness interviews and miscellaneous field notes.(26)

Garrison always did hold his cards close to his vest when discussing the origin of the Clinton story. In his memoirs he writes, "It was a slim lead, little more than a whisper in the air."(27) And nothing could be further from the truth. Anne Hundley Dischler's notes reveal for the very first time where the story originated.

On May 18, 1967, Jack N. Rogers, a Garrison associate who was counsel for Louisiana's Joint Legislative Committee on Un-American Activities, informed the State Sovereignty Commission of a tip that Lee Harvey Oswald had been in Clinton, Louisiana, with Clay Shaw, Jim Garrison's accused conspirator. Fred Dent, Jr., of the State Sovereignty Commission passed the information on to Garrison's office.(28) Where did Rogers get the information? He got it from Clinton Registrar of Voters Henry Earl Palmer, to whose ex-wife Rogers was married.(29)

Palmer's story was that Lee Harvey Oswald had been in Jackson, Louisiana, looking for a job at the East Louisiana State Hospital, then came to Clinton, where he tried to register to vote. According to Palmer, Oswald arrived in Clinton in a Cadillac, along with Clay Shaw and David Ferrie. Anne Dischler also jotted down a note reading, "People in St. Francisville [25 miles from Clinton] few months [ago?]."(30) Apparently, nothing ever came of the St. Francisville report. Patricia Lambert notes that St. Francisville was the home of Judge John Rarick, a figure on the periphery of the Clinton case, as we will see.

It was Dischler's first notation on the Clinton story, and it would be very nearly the last before the story began to fall apart. But Jim Garrison would have a simple solution for that: he simply got rid of Dischler.(31)

One damning detail of Dischler's story is that originally, Palmer claimed that Lee Harvey Oswald had signed his voting register, and Palmer produced the register for Dischler and Fruge's inspection: "Palmer showed them where Oswald signed his name and the signature had been erased and another name written over it. But when they turned up the next day to get a copy, Palmer told them the page was 'missing.' He showed them the book, which Dischler believes was bound in some way, and said, 'You see this is all that's left.' He couldn't or wouldn't tell them who he thought had erased the name in the first place, Dischler said, nor who he thought had removed the page."(32)

"'It looked like where Oswald had signed his name," Dischler earnestly told Patricia Lambert in 1994. "You could make out the 'O' and, while I was looking at the signature, Henry Earl Palmer was saying to me that 'this is where Oswald signed.'"(33)

Lambert writes, "Apparently, someone had second thoughts about the Oswald-signed-the-register story. Henry Earl Palmer is deceased and the register has not survived -- the current registrar of voters, Jackson barber Edwin Lea McGehee, recently stated that his files contain no such book".(34) Of course, after Dischler and Fruge were removed from the case, the alleged Oswald signature could be handily forgotten.

McGehee, of course, was the barber who had testified at the Shaw trial that Lee Harvey Oswald came into his Jackson, La., barbershop one day in 1963. It was also he who testified that he referred Oswald to State Representative Reeves Morgan. But was it?

Oswald and Reeves Morgan

In May 1967, Henry Palmer recalled that Lee Harvey Oswald did not know Reeves Morgan, but that he suggested Morgan as someone who could help Oswald out. The problem? Reeves Morgan testified that it was his idea for Oswald to register to vote in the area.(35)

In a pre-trial statement, Morgan explained that he'd informed Oswald that he couldn't help Oswald get a job at the hospital ahead of any of his constituents. Oswald -- that well-versed Marxist -- asked Morgan what a "constituent" was, and Morgan explained that it was someone who was "registered in his parish and was on the voting rolls."(36)

In Henry Earl Palmer's first signed statement to the DA's office, he said that he had "asked Oswald if he knew the Business Manager at the hospital or the Mayor of Jackson or Reeves Morgan the State Representative and Oswald said he did not know any of them. Mr. Palmer then told Oswald he would have to get a letter from someone at Jackson saying that he was living in Jackson for six months before he would be able to register."(37)

It should be noted that, while there is no evidence that Oswald could not have spoken to Palmer before meeting Morgan, it has always been Morgan's story that he, not Oswald, was the person who brought up the issue of Oswald registering to vote, and that Oswald did not say anything about having been to see Palmer and having been turned away.(38)

Enter Edwin Lea McGehee. It was barber McGehee who would testify in 1969 that it had been his idea for Oswald to pay a visit to his friend, Reeves Morgan, and that it wouldn't hurt if Oswald were a registered voter in the area. McGehee said his friend Henry Palmer, the Registrar of Voters, could help him out with that.(39)

Simply put, the early statements from Edwin Lea McGehee, Reeves Morgan and Henry Earl Palmer all contradict each other on this point. It's no secret now that the three men knew each other quite well, and we'll see shortly just how much the three men had in common. For the moment, the important thing is that the story seems to have originated somewhere within Palmer's circle of associates. We will also see shortly just who that circle comprised.

By the time of the 1969 trial, the issue had been smoothed out, with McGehee advising Oswald to see Morgan, Morgan advising Oswald to see Palmer, and Palmer not bringing up the subject of Reeves Morgan.

Henry Earl Palmer and Estus Morgan

On May 29, 1967, Henry Earl Palmer gave his first formal, signed statement to the DA's office. He said that "some time between September 1st and October 15th of 1963 he had occasion to talk to Lee Harvey Oswald. Mr. Palmer said he feels very strongly that it was in the first week of October, possibly around the 6th or 7th."(40) This would have to be adjusted later, when it was realized that Oswald was not in Louisiana at that time.

Something conspicuously different about Palmer's statement and his trial testimony is that at the trial, he testified that a second white man, Estus Morgan, was in line with Oswald, but he did not have reason to believe they were together, as there were "two or three" people between them in line. In his earliest statement, though it is not stated explicitly, Palmer implies that Oswald and Morgan were together:

"Mr. Palmer said that as he left his office for a coffee break around 10:30 in the morning he noticed two white men in line with the colored people and that they were very conspicuous as they were the only two white people in the line. When he talked to these two people he learned they were Lee Harvey Oswald and Estes [sic] Morgan. Oswald had on a T-shirt, dark trousers and sneaker-type crepe soled shoes" (all emphasis added).(41)

Palmer is not the only witness to refer to Oswald wearing sneakers. Lee Harvey Oswald did not own any sneakers, and no one but the Clinton witnesses ever described him wearing any.

"On his way to the café he noticed a black Cadillac parked about 20 feet from the entrance to his building; that he noticed two people sitting in the Cadillac, both of whom were white males and were sitting in the front seat. Mr. Palmer said the man in the passenger side of the automobile had heavy eyebrows and this was his distinguishing feature as far as he would say. He said the other man was sitting behind the steering wheel and was looking straight ahead; that he appeared to be tall and was gray haired and had a ruddy complexion. Palmer said that he was also wearing a hat."(42)

Later, when it was ascertained that Clay Shaw did not wear a hat, this would disappear from Palmer's story.

Palmer identified a photograph of Clay Shaw as the driver of the Cadillac: "That is the type of build that the person appeared to have as the person appeared tall even though he was sitting down. He had broad shoulders and had the white hair." Palmer tentatively identified a picture of David Ferrie as the man on the passenger side: "he could not positively identify this man as being the man in the automobile. He said the man well dressed, had on dark clothes and had a tie on."(43)

"Mr. Palmer said that after he had eaten he went to the barber shop for a few minutes and then walked on back to his office. He passed the car like he had before and the men were still there but he did not pay any particular attention to them. Mr. Palmer said Oswald and Morgan were still in line" (emphasis added).(44)

"Mr. Palmer said that as he passed Oswald and Morgan in this line they didn't say anything to him and they were talking with some of the Negros [sic] in the line. Mr. Palmer said he stayed in the office until about 3:30 and then went to get coffee again passing Oswald and Morgan who were still in the line . . ." (emphasis added).(45)

Palmer spoke to both men. "Morgan showed him a Livingston Parish Driver's License and said that he was from Jackson, Louisiana. Mr. Palmer did not let him register because he didn't have enough identification. Morgan then told Mr. Palmer that he knew Reeves Morgan the State Representative and that he was interested in going to work at the East Louisiana State Hospital. Mr. Palmer told Morgan that maybe he should talk to Representative Morgan.(46)

"Mr. Palmer said that Oswald then came in and showed him an ID card from the service. Mr. Palmer said he believes it was a Navy ID card. It had Lee H. Oswald on it. He said he believes it was a canceled Navy card and it had a New Orleans address on it. [Oswald indeed had an expired Navy identification card; however, such cards do not have addresses.] Mr. Palmer asked Oswald why he didn't register before and Oswald told him that he went into the service before he was old enough to register. Oswald told Mr. Palmer he was living at Jackson and had been living there for 6 months with some doctor at the hospital. Mr. Palmer said Oswald named the doctor but that he cannot remember the doctor's name. Mr. Palmer asked Oswald if the doctor was a registered voter and Oswald said "Yes," but when Mr. Palmer checked the voter registration rolls for the doctor's name he found out that the doctor was not registered with him. Mr. Palmer then asked Oswald if he knew the Business Manager at the hospital or the Mayor of Jackson or Reeves Morgan the State Representative and Oswald said he did not know any of them. Mr. Palmer then told Oswald he would have to get a letter from someone at Jackson saying that he was living in Jackson for six months before he would be able to register, or if he wanted to he could register in New Orleans. Oswald told Mr. Palmer that he wanted to register with him as he wanted to get the job at the hospital and Mr. Palmer informed him that he did not need to be a registered voter in order to get a job at the hospital. Mr. Palmer said Oswald thanked him for this information and then left, and that was the last time he saw Oswald."(47)

At the Shaw trial on February 6, 1969, Palmer has conveniently moved the date of this incident back from around October 6-7 to "sometime [around] the first of August."(48)

Oswald is still one of two white men in line, but now Palmer doesn't refer to "Oswald and Morgan" as he had previously, and he places "two or three" people in between them in line. His description of Ferrie is virtually identical to his earlier report, though he still does not positively identify Ferrie. When shown a photo of Ferrie, he says:

PALMER. I can't recognize the individual, but the hair and the eyebrows are similar.

SCIAMBRA. . . . Do you know who this person is?

PALMER. From the picture I know, now.

SCIAMBRA. Who is it?

PALMER. That is Mr. Ferrie.(49)

Palmer's description of the driver was also virtually identical to his earlier statement. He said, "The man that was behind the wheel, I saw him sitting down. He appeared to be a tall man, he had broad shoulders and quite gray hair, and his complexion was -- well, it wasn't light, in other words, kind of ruddy complexion." He identified Clay Shaw as this man.(50)

He described his interview with Estus Morgan, but omitted any mention of Reeves Morgan this time. He described his interview with Oswald, also omitting Reeves Morgan's name. He said he asked Oswald "if he knew the business manager at the hospital in Jackson or if he knew the Mayor of the Town of Jackson or if he knew the Representative of the Parish." Oswald's reply is omitted.(51)

Collins, Morgan, and Foster

Estus Morgan is the lock that held the entire story together, and it is eyewitness Corrie Collins who holds the key. This is only possible with the statements of his that were shielded from the public for over twenty-five years.

Henry Earl Palmer had suggested that CORE worker Corrie Collins might have some information that could help them. He didn't -- yet. In Anne Hundley Dischler's notes, we find the very first statements from Collins, and in this statement lies the seed of the Clinton story.

On October 3, 1967, Dischler interviewed Collins. He affirmed that he did indeed recall a black Cadillac at a CORE registration drive. But where he later would say that Lee Harvey Oswald got out of the Cadillac, at this time he said that "two casually dressed men got out of [the black] car" and "got in line" to the registrar's office. One of them was possibly wearing "blue jeans," and the other was "in white." Collins knew the man in blue jeans; he was Estus Morgan.(52)

This is why an undated memorandum in the Garrison files specifies that Lee Harvey Oswald arrived at the voter registration drive "in the company of white man Estus Morgan,"(53) and why Richard Billings made a note on May 23, 1967, that "two men exited from the car, joined the line, and tried to register. One of them appeared to be Oswald; the other man was identified as Estus Morgan."(54)

There is only one problem: The man with Estus Morgan was not Lee Harvey Oswald -- and on October 3, 1967, Corrie Collins didn't identify him as Oswald. As Anne Dischler had no trouble ascertaining, the man's name was Winslow Foster, and in 1963 he was a friend of Estus Morgan's and an employee of the East Louisiana State Hospital (55). Patricia Lambert writes, "Shortly after Dischler recorded that in her steno pad, Garrison took her and Fruge off the case, in effect burying the Foster-Morgan lead for twenty-seven years," until Lambert began pursuing it in 1994.(56)

In her landmark chapter on the Clinton witnesses, Patricia Lambert theorizes a scenario for the origin of the Oswald-in-Clinton story that is very nearly an absolute certainty. It revolves around Estus Morgan.

Lambert writes that Estus Morgan, like Oswald in the story, "wanted a job at the hospital; he, too, was trying to register to enhance that possibility; he, too, was told to see Representative Reeves Morgan, and he showed up at the registrar's office at the same time Oswald did. These remarkable similarities suggest that whoever was shaping the Clinton scenario simply appropriated the entire 'profile' of Estus Morgan, who really did appear at the registrar's office in 1963, and attributed it to Lee Harvey Oswald, who never appeared there at all."(57)

Lambert found that Foster, who was 48 in 1963, worked at the State Hospital for eleven years and moved away from the area in 1969. He is believed to have died in the 1970s. Because of his job at the hospital, Lambert was told by a onetime acquaintance of Foster's, he "had to wear white" (58). His friendship with Estus Morgan (who died in 1966) was confirmed by Morgan's second wife, Nellie Louise Morgan. Morgan would have been 56 in 1963. He worked at the hospital before his second marriage, and that's where he met Winslow Foster. When Lambert asked Mrs. Morgan how her late husband dressed, Mrs. Morgan said that "most of the time he wore blue jeans" -- just as Corrie Collins described.(59)

The fact that Clinton witnesses described a hat on the "Shaw" figure in the big black car is a major blow to their credibility. Shaw testified that he never wore a hat. The Garrison prosecution never challenged this, in spite of fact that it would have been easy to find witnesses who said that Shaw sometimes wore a hat -- if he in fact ever wore a hat.

Unlike the later story, that would have the Cadillac remaining at the CORE drive for approximately six hours, in his October 1967 statement, Collins recalled that the car was only there for "10 or 15 minutes." And there really was a third man, the driver, who waited in the car while the two men spoke to Palmer. According to Collins' initial statement of October 3, 1967, he was a large man wearing a hat and tie.(60) Like Collins, Palmer's first statement had the driver wearing a hat. Unlike Collins, Palmer dropped the hat from his story.

It should be borne in mind that every one of the witnesses stated that they remembered the shiny black Cadillac because it was the only time they saw such a car outside the Registrar's office. They also said that what made Oswald stand out was the rarity of a white man at these drives, though the witnesses were not unanimous about his being the only one: Palmer still had Estus Morgan in line during his trial testimony, and William E. Dunn, Sr., recalled "four or five" white men in line at that time.(61)

Patricia Lambert writes, "Fruge and Dischler interviewed Corrie Collins on October 3, 1967, and Dischler identified Winslow Foster as the man in white that same day. On October 9, Dischler made her last working entry in her steno pads when she recorded additional information about Winslow Foster. Four days later, she wrote her final note: 'To New Orleans,' it reads, 'to turn in last report to Louis Ivon [another Garrison investigator].' Without explanation, Garrison had abruptly removed Fruge and Dischler from the case. One of their contacts in the DA's office told Dischler the investigation had to be "shut down" because of threats against Garrison's family. But Garrison didn't shut it down. He turned it over to Andrew Sciambra.(62)

Shortly before Garrison dismissed Dischler, Assistant DA James Alcock mentioned to investigator Tom Bethell that "the Clinton angle 'wasn't working out" (63). But more likely, as Patricia Lambert notes, it was because Dischler was turning up "unwanted information about the real occupants of the black car. For while Estus Morgan was conveniently dead, Winslow Foster was alive and still working at the hospital" (64). All that was left was to interview him. By dismissing Dischler, "Garrison prevented that interview from ever taking place."(65)

Next: The witness testimony "improves."


1. Transcript, State of Louisiana v. Clay L. Shaw, February 6, 1969, hereafter Shaw, 9, 31; Lambert, 187.

2. Shaw, February 6, 1969, 42; Lambert, 187.

3. Shaw, February 6, 1969, 97.

4. Shaw, February 7, 1969, 7.

5. Shaw, February 6, 1969, 85.

6. Andrew J. Sciambra, Undated 1967 affidavit.

7. Shaw, February 6, 1969, 59.

8. Shaw, February 6, 1969, 110.

9. Shaw, February 7, 1969, 11; Lambert, 187.

10. Shaw, February 6, 1969, 55.

11. Shaw, February 6, 1969, 83.

12. Shaw, February 7, 1969, 8.

13. Shaw, February 6, 1969, 19; Lambert, 187. Newsweek's Hugh Aynesworth had talked to Manchester in Clinton, prior to the trial, and taunted him about not being able to remember anyone he'd told about Lee Harvey Oswald prior to the start of the Garrison investigation, to which Manchester replied by pointing out that he had "knocked the Hell out of a reporter" for angering him: "Manchester, you'll recall, testified that he had spent two minutes talking to Clay Shaw that summer of 1963 and Dymond asked him how he could be so sure -- to have only seen a man for two minutes five years before. 'I don't forget faces,' Manchester snapped. 'I may not remember names, but I remember faces. It's my job to.' More importantly, perhaps, three to four weeks after I'd spent one to two hours with the man discussing the very subject he was concerned with, Manchester did not recognize me when I went up to talk to him following his testimony on the stand. 'Newsweek, eh,' he said. 'Yeh, I met a feller from there not too long ago, and . . .' One of the assistant DA's pulled him away -- him, still not recognizing a man with a 12-inch scar on his face whom he had threatened a few days before. Quite a memory has mister Manchester!" (Aynesworth to James Kirkwood, American Grotesque, 221-3.).

14. Shaw, February 7, 1969, 20; Lambert, 187.

15. Shaw, February 6, 1969, 46.

16. FBI NO 89-69-380-8b; A. J. Weberman Web site (www.weberman.com).

17. Shaw, February 6, 1969, 72; Lambert, 187.

18. Shaw, February 7, 1969, 24.

19. Shaw, February 6, 1969, 118; Lambert, 187.

20. Shaw, February 6, 1969, 36.

21. Shaw, February 7, 1969, 39.

22. Shaw, February 7, 1969, 27.

23. Jim Garrison, On the Trail of the Assassins, 1991 ed., 123.

24. Lambert, 192.

25. Garrison, 123.

26. Lambert, 189-91.

27. Garrison, 122. Edwin Lea McGehee claims that the story of Oswald in Jackson and Clinton was published in The Councilor, the newspaper published by the New Orleans White Citizens' Council, in 1966, before the Garrison investigation began (Larry Catalanello, "East Feliciana's Oswald Connection," The Advocate, February 2, 1992.). A researcher who requests anonymity had the opportunity to look through a complete collection from that time period, however, and could find no trace of such an article.

28. Lambert, 190, 321 fn.

29. Ibid.

30. Dischler notes, May 18, 1967; Lambert, 190, 321 fn.

31. Lambert, 196.

32. Lambert, 192-3.

33. Lambert, 193.

34. Lambert, 193. This is not the only trace of forged evidence in the Clinton investigation. Anne Hundley Dischler recalled to Patricia Lambert a photograph given to her by the DA's office to show to prospective witnesses: "It was a three-by-five, black-and-white photograph of the Cadillac supposedly taken while the car was parked across the street from the registrar's office." Inside were purportedly Lee Harvey Oswald, David Ferrie, Clay Shaw, and New Orleans right-wing extremist Guy Banister (Lambert, 192.).

Dischler said, "Clay Shaw was in the driver's seat -- it looked like him to me. I remember the white-haired man in the picture and the small face of Oswald. It seems like Oswald was on the passenger side of the front seat but I'm not sure. And it seems like I remember a darkened area in back of the car where [Ferrie and Banister] were supposed to have been" (Ibid.).

Lambert notes, "This picture came from the district attorney's office, she said, perhaps from Sciambra. She recalls it being in a folder and Sciambra, she said, always had a folder, though it could have been one of Fruge's. The picture received special treatment. Dischler never had it in her possession, and Fruge had it and "showed" it but only at the beginning and only for a short while. . . . And someone with that picture, Dischler said, had been there ahead of them. Who it was remains a mystery" (Ibid.).

35. Shaw, February 6, 1969, 43-4.

36. Andrew J. Sciambra, June 1, 1967, Memorandum to Jim Garrison.

37. Andrew J. Sciambra, June 1, 1967, Memorandum to Jim Garrison.

38. Shaw, February 6, 1969, 43-4.

39. Shaw, February 6, 1969, 9-12.

40. Memorandum to Jim Garrison.

41. Ibid.

42. Ibid.

43. Ibid.

44. Ibid.

45. Ibid.

46. Ibid.

47. Ibid.

48. Shaw, February 6, 1969, 97.

49. Shaw, February 6, 1969, 83-5.

50. Shaw, February 6, 1969, 85.

51. Shaw, February 6, 1969, 90-3.

52. Lambert, 193.

53. Lambert, 195 fn.

54. Lambert, 195 fn.

55. Lambert, 194.

56. Ibid.

57. Lambert, 196.

58. Ibid.

59. Ibid.

60. Lambert, 321 fn.

61. John Manchester and Clinton resident Andrew Dunn, who was not asked to testify, both knew Estus Morgan personally and remembered him at the CORE drive, but neither could remember whether his appearance was related to the black Cadillac or not [Manchester: Andrew Sciambra, Undated 1967 Memorandum to Jim Garrison; Dunn: Handwritten statement of July 13, 1967].

62. Lambert, 196.

63. Bethell diary; Lambert, 196-7.

64. Lambert, 197.

65. Ibid.

Back to Garrison/New Orleans Page
Back to Kennedy Assassination Home Page